Southern Fried Chicken
- 2.5lbs. flour
- 2 whole chickens
- 1/3 cup garlic powder
- 1/3 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup REC TEC Grills Ben's Heffer Dust
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 10lbs. shortening
- 2lbs. lard
- Set Matador to medium heat.
- Place all ingredients for oil into Matador and heat for 25 minutes.
- Once oil mixture is melted, remove ham hocks and make sure oil is at 350°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Separate wings, legs, thighs, and breasts from chicken.
- Place chicken in flour mixture and toss, letting rest for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken to oil and cook until golden brown (12-15 minutes).
- Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess grease.
Be sure to roll chicken constantly to ensure a golden brown color and crispy texture.